Jan 14, 2010

Apricot Cake


I've got a lot of dried apricots from Sydney. Made compote and keep it in the fridge whenever we want to eat them with yoghurt.
The method is very easy. Put dried apricot (300g) and sugar(150g) into the pot and simmer for 20 minutes until the apricot soften.
I have never measured how much the apricot and sugar is. If you don't like too much sweet, just reduce the sugar. But make sure that the less sugared one will not last for a long time.
Plus I usually use the sugar made from sugar beet not sugar cane.
As far as I am concerned, the sugar beet is much healthier than sugar cane. They have lots of oligosaccharide which helps our digestion.

This time, I tried baking a cake using this compote.
This recipe is originally from Yoko Arimoto's cook book and she named it "Apricot Crostata". Crostata is typical Italian sweets and tastes like a tart.
As for her recipe, she used fresh cream instead of butter. Interesting.
Actually, one day I baked scone using fresh cream since the butter was out of stock, the taste got more light and soft.
Not sure which is less low calories or not, but I am pleased with it very much. When I eat yummy sweets, I try not to think about the calories.

Served with whipped cream. In the cream, I mixed some "fromage blanc". This is beautiful. If you cannot get it, you may use yoghurt from which is drained water instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment